Sunday, December 28, 2008

You Shouldn't Have!

Did you get a dumb Christmas gift this year? I didn’t, but I do get several catalogs in the mail that I’ve noticed offer some of the silliest items I’ve ever seen. Some are downright stupid if you ask me. Only in America can we come up with these things we never knew we needed, and apparently people are buying them.

Take for instance the computerized water bottle. They’ve come up with “the world’s first interactive water bottle.” It costs $30 and has a digital display on the side of it that tells you if you’ve had enough to drink, how many sips you’ve taken, etc. Silly me! Here I’ve been relying on my sense of thirst! I guess I’m just an amateur when it comes to self-hydration.
Another gift that personifies overkill is the SmartShopper organizer. It’s basically a high-tech grocery list. You’re supposed to mount it on the wall, speak your list into it, and it will print any of 2,500 preloaded grocery items, plus it’s customizable. (Thank goodness! I bet “Cheez-Its” and “strawberry rhubarb pie” aren’t on there yet.)
You can own this labor saving device to the tune of $149.95 plus $7.95 for extra paper refills (batteries not included). That's a lotta lettuce! Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t most people have some scrap paper and a ballpoint pen lying around? I guess the SmartShopper is for that special person who has more money than sense.

I saw a real winner recently – a water bowl for your dog that’s shaped like a miniature toilet. As if anyone would want to encourage that behavior! The catalog copy says “family and guests get a big laugh.” I guess I just don’t have the “potty humor” sensibility required to appreciate that one.
Just for future reference, the three ways that I would least wish to be awakened: by an airplane twirling in a circle with flashing lights and motor revving, with the sound of a drum solo and with the sound of a chimpanzee. All of these are actual novelty alarm clocks that are for sale. Yup, nothing says “good morning” like a wild animal shrieking in your ear. Why don’t they just skip right to fingernails on a chalkboard?
And what about a whimsical container in which to present your gift card? Talk about gilding the lily. There’s a challenging “gift card maze” puzzle on the market that’s a bit demeaning; it’s like you’re saying, “Here’s your money, but you’ll have to work for it!” And it’s made of clear plastic, so you can see what you’re trying to get at. I wonder how many of those puzzles have already ended up coming into close and intense contact with a hammer.
I do hope you got everything you wanted this year, i.e., no stupid presents. And when it comes to giving, well, we’ve all heard that it’s the thought that counts. So when Christmas rolls around next year, give some extra thought to giving these kinds of gifts – and then get them something else!

Playlist:
1. I Really Don't Want Much for Christmas – Patti Austin
2. Don't Be Stupid – Shania Twain
3. You Give Me Something – James Morrison
4. Don't Know Why – Nora Jones
5. Little Things Mean A Lot – Kitty Kallen
6. Money (That's What I Want ) – The Beatles
7. Just What I Needed – The Cars
8. (You Got To) Give It To Me – J. Geils Band
9. What Was I Thinking - Dierks Bently
10. Things I Don't Understand – Coldplay