Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mass distraction

We haven’t even been in this so-called recession for very long (is it time to leave off the “so-called” yet?), but I’m already tired of conversations starting with the phrase “in these tough economic times.” For better or worse, it’s a reality that experts say we’re going to have to get used to.
Case in point: I’ve used the same Capital One credit card for years and have never been late on a payment. And yet they suddenly informed me they’re doubling my interest rate.
My first reaction was, “What did I do to deserve this?!”

Answer: nothing. It’s just that even the solvent banks are freaking out and want to cover their butts. Like I heard the other day: a low tide pulls down all the boats.
With each hard-earned greenback being stretched to the limit, all of us little guys have begun to think twice about things we always used to take for granted, like vacations and cable TV. “In these tough economic times,” we ponder whether it’s really worth it.
For me, what’s worth it is something that makes me feel good on a really deep-down, emotional level; budget and convenience are still factors, but relaxation and entertainment certainly aren’t luxuries. “In these tough economic times,” they mean even more than ever!
Feeding the soul often means re-living a childhood memory or experience.

A friend of mine recently went online to track down his favorite childhood soft drink, plunking down plenty for the delivery of a full case of grape Nehi in the original glass bottles. It doesn’t get any more sentimental than that! Another pal pulled out the old boat for a tranquil afternoon on the lake –good bang for the buck!
Remember the scene in “Shawshank Redemption” where they drink beer on the roof? That’s the feeling we’re talking about here. It’s freedom, it’s memory. It’s powerful stuff.
Some folks get all warm and fuzzy replacing old VHS favorites with DVDs and downloading digital versions of near-forgotten vinyl LPs. As for me, I’ve had a craving lately for meatloaf the way Mama used to make it, and I just might search it out. The idea here is to do whatever it is that transports you back to that place of safety and serenity.
I haven’t followed baseball for many years (unless you count every October). But something about spring training makes me once again long for the boys of summer. For three hours or so, I can banish deficits and layoffs completely from my consciousness. I know it’s an extravagance. I know about the steroid use and the obscenely high player contracts. But baseball is still a terrific game that’s stayed essentially the same since I was a kid. Maybe I’ll see you at a Smokies game when the season starts in earnest. It’d be the perfect antidote to reality.

Playlist:
1. Get Used To It – Roger Voudouris
2. Sign ‘O’ the Times – Prince
3. Low Budget – The Kinks
4. I'm Busted – Ray Charles and The Count Basie Orchestra
5. Hard Times – Queen Latifah
6. I Got Plenty o’ Nuttin’ – Sammy Davis, Jr.
7. Turn Back the Hands of Time – Tyrone Davis
8. Memories – Elvis Presley
9. There’s A Place – The Beatles
10. Cowboy Take Me Away – The Dixie Chicks