Sunday, February 8, 2009

Past Imperfectly Perfect

There’s a certain managing editor at the Shopper-News who recently tipped me off to an old game show that’s re-run on the Game Show Network every morning at 3 a.m.: “What’s My Line?” I’ve programmed my Comcast digital video recorder to automatically record every episode while I sleep. I can then watch it at my convenience, usually the following evening.
Little did I know that I’d become completely hooked on this show! I’ve got it bad. Let me tell you why.
Games shows of the ’50s and early ’60s were the reality shows of their day. If you want to see the way real people looked and acted back then, here it is, encapsulated into a half-hour history lesson. I find it fascinating. You baby boomers out there may even remember seeing these shows the first time they aired!
If you’re not familiar with the “What’s My Line?” format, contestants answer “yes or no” questions so that a panel can determine their occupation. Ten “no” answers meant the player won the game. The prize? A now-paltry $50. Imagine someone today competing on a game show for even 10 times that! Nowadays, there always has to be more money, the chance of a grand prize, the possibility of getting the big bucks. The low prize amount on “What’s My Line?” was a novel idea: the money was secondary to the fun of just playing the game. And it’s quaintly low-tech; contestants sign in on a chalkboard, and when a point is earned, the moderator hand-flips over a cardboard sign. No laser-light show, no music blaring. Aaahhhh … can you hear me sighing nostalgically?
Refreshing, too, is the slow pacing of the show, which is in marked contrast to today’s “I need it yesterday” media deluge. There’s a sort of dignified grace to the way the people move, the way they finish thoughts before moving on to the next ones, and – most importantly – the style with which they articulate those thoughts.
Everyone on the show from members of congress to plumbers is refined and respectful. Some contestants may not have college educations, but they are still well-informed and capable of speaking clearly and coherently. Compare that to something current like “American Idol” – a show that’s about as subtle as a hand-grenade in a bowl of oatmeal. “What’s My Line?” proves that TV shows could be intelligent as well as entertaining. I really miss that!
Another thing I love about “What’s My Line?” is the panel, usually comprised of three regulars and a guest. The regulars include newspaper columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, actress Arlene Francis, and publisher Bennett Cerf, and they’re as personable, witty and erudite a group of folks as you could ever hope to find!
But look closely and you’ll see something else about those panelists that you wouldn’t see today. Take Arlene Francis, for instance. Right now, I’m watching a close-up shot of her, and I’m seeing something … what in the world? I’m not sure, but I think it may actually be … a wrinkle! A frown line, a laugh line, call it what you will. And her fellow panelists have equally normal qualities like non-plastic-surgery-type faces, receding hairlines and gaps in their teeth. Hallelujah! A program that shows the way people really look and doesn’t make an issue out of it!
Botox? Not on this show! Whitening strips? Never heard of ’em. Warts and all, these people held substance over style, and in so doing managed to maintain a true sense of style that went beyond the surface. They had class – naturally. And they aged – naturally. What a concept!
And whereas irony and insult now rule the airwaves, it’s nice to see lines delivered with kind regard and absolutely no guile. While I don’t advocate living in the past, can you blame me for escaping for a half hour or so into this kinder, gentler “alternate universe”?

Playlist:
1. Those Were The Days – Mary Hopkin
2. Games People Play – The Spinners
3. Imitation of Life – R.E.M.
4. Playing The Game – Gentle Giant
5. The Way Love Used To Be – The Kinks
6. Just the Way You Are – Billy Joel
7. Work 'n' Play – The Zombies
8. It's All In the Game – Tommy Edwards
9. For Free – Joni Mitchell
10. Even Better Than the Real Thing – U2